Civil Cases for Crime Victims


Civil Cases for Crime Victims

If you are the victim of a crime, you have a right to file a lawsuit to recover financial compensation for the harms you have suffered. Crime victims can file claims against both the perpetrator directly and the negligent institutions that allowed, willfully ignored, or covered up the perpetrated criminal misconduct.
Bringing a civil claim can help you feel like you are finally holding wrongdoers and negligent institutions accountable for violating your fundamental human right to be free from all forms of violence.
Seeking legal intervention for the harms suffered as a result of criminal misconduct can also be challenging. That is why we work with you to help you understand the process and ensure that we hear your concerns and goals for your case and fight for you in the legal system.

A. There are many differences between a criminal case and a civil case (or lawsuit). Unlike a criminal case, a lawsuit does not involve bringing criminal charges that may result in a criminal record or prison. A survivor brings a lawsuit to recover monetary compensation for the harms that they suffered. In addition, a lawsuit can be brought against a negligent institution, such as a church, school, or foster care facility for failing to protect against the harms.

A. A statute of limitations is the period of time that you have to file a lawsuit. In the State of New York, you may have as little as one year to bring a lawsuit after the crime occurs. In some cases against government agencies, you may have only 90 days to put the government on notice of a potential lawsuit.

Please do not delay in seeking legal assistance. Our team is here to help, and it is free and confidential to call our office to discuss your potential claim.